While we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK, I shall be getting into the spirit today cooking up this tasty Pumpkin Pie recipe from Mary and Vincent Price's COME INTO THE KITCHEN COOK BOOK, which was first published in 1969, and got a glorious reprint last year.
VINCENT PRICE'S PUMPKIN PIE
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1½ cups canned or mashed cooked pumpkin
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground mace
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Make the pie shell with a high scalloped edge, refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl (with a pouring lip if you have one) combine the pumpkin with the eggs, then the cream, sugar, salt and spices. Blend well and pour into the chilled pie shell.
- Bake for 15 mins, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 50-65 minutes more, or until knife inserted in center of the pie comes out with only a few flecks clinging to it.
- Chill before serving. Makes about 8 servings.